blog quatro
Watching the video on the Japanese sleep schedule was very interesting. I had no idea that the regular sleep schedule for Japanese people was such a small amount of sleep. even listening to the Japanese students answers to the question was very eye opening (get it?). I have asked other Japanese students the same questions and every single answer has been under 8 hours. It also explain the phenomenon of the Japanese salaryman sleeping on the street. It seems like all of the problems Japanese culture has stems from work. the sleep issue certainly seems to be. I also enjoyed learning about the futon master. The fact that there is a futon competition is hilarious. How can you even judge something like that. This makes me think about my mom and her sleep schedule because she wakes up very early and goes to sleep super late. i would occasionally think about how she could do that but now it makes sense. Being trained to do that throughout school will leave you with habits that follow you your whole lifetime. It also trains you to be able to sleep in public spaces which i find nearly impossible. That is a great skill, i wish i could do that.
I also found the video really surprising especially seeing just how normalised extreme sleep deprivation is in Japan. Coming from Bulgaria, it’s hard to imagine that sleeping under 6 hours is considered routine. I’ve seen people sleeping on trains here too, and now I understand it’s not laziness it’s exhaustion. The connection you made with your mom’s sleep habits was interesting; it really shows how much our early environment shapes us. And yes, the futon competition was both bizarre and interesting only in Japan could something so simple become so serious! Like you, I wish I could sleep in public that easily it seems like a survival skill here.
ReplyDelete