blog seis

     hi class! For this blog we will be discussing education in japan. we watched a video in class about the typical day for a college student in Tokyo. it seemed like a pretty standard day for a student, with the exception of the maid cafe part. That part wont translate over to most college students lives, it seems like a pretty Japanese thing. 

      We did another Survery which was focused on the amount of talking we did in class, the answers were pretty diverse mostly depending on personality for the amount you contribute verbally in class.  Personally I am a bit of a yapper in class because i dislike the silence that comes after a teacher asks a question that i know the answer to. if i have a response, insightful or not i will say it to break the weird silence in question. 

    Education while of course, different in japan seems to cross cultures pretty seamlessly. The method of education and learning may change country by country but as far as i can tell students are still going to do typical student things throughout the course of their school life. Kids cheat on tests, study hard or not study at all, like and dislike certain teachers and make friends all through schooling.

    i think a final important note, is what Prof. Lafleur told us in class. College is a relaxing in between time from terrible entrance exams and a rough working life. interesting how that work because i think the rest of the world has college as a ramp up from high schools easygoing classes. to me that is an interesting distinction. college is the time to have fun while also getting your higher education and degree. toeing that line is very important around the whole word and japan is no exception.  

Thats all folks see ya in class!

Comments

  1. I liked how you described college as a “relaxing in-between time” in Japan, that really stood out to me too. In the Netherlands, like in many places, university feels more like a step up in difficulty, so it’s interesting to see that reversed. Also, I agree with you on the maid café part, definitely not something you’d see in a typical student day elsewhere! And yes, the silence after a question can be awkward/cringe, good on you for breaking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog numero seis. I agree mostly with what you are saying that education is pretty much the same everywhere and students do similar things. Still I had some culture shock after experiencing university life first hand here. (just think about SLA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike the weird silence when nobody is answering the teacher's question too. I agree it is more personal than cultural, at least from what I heard during the class. Also, I was surprised that university is treated here as relaxing as back home I am quite literally barely surviving at university -Jules

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

blog dos

blog trece

blog tres